The children in Blue Group have been listening to ‘Dear Zoo’ and ‘Oh Dear’ by Rod Campbell. They love to join in with the familiar phrases and are now choosing the stories independently. They look at the pictures and use them to retell the story in their own words.
Some of the children have been building houses in the construction area for the animals out of the stories. They’ve even made their ‘dinner’ in the home area!
- Listens to and enjoys rhythmic patterns in rhymes and stories.
- Listens with interest to the noises adults make when they read stories.
- Learns new words very rapidly and is able to use them in communicating.
- Turns pages in books, sometimes several at once.
- Repeats words or phrases from familiar stories.
- Handles books and printed materials with interest.
- Beginning to make believe by pretending